Friday, April 27, 2012

Note to self: Schedule bubble tea in the near future

Before the last party of the semester blog.

I'm, kinda excited for the summer.
"Kinda."


I can't wait to get these classes out of the way, especially Phonology class, it's really making me go crazy. And every time I think about last summer, I begin to miss it so much. And knowing I can only stay in Albany until the middle of July.... well... that's just depressing. There was so much happening to me over the summer, so much excitement, socializing, and I miss it all so so much. But this summer won't be anything like that. It's just work work work work work workkkk......

But that's a good thing. Because my savings keep going up.
My original goal for HK, $5K. New goal? $8K.

And it's very realistic. Right now I have almost $5K saved up, right? I'm going to have three jobs this summer, and the summer didn't even come yet.
Job #1.
Working here on campus again. Last summer I only worked 3hrs a day Mon.-Fri. which sucked. But I got $8/hr which is kinda cool. This summer I'm working here 8hrs/day and with a possibility of getting more than $8/hr.
Job #2.
Still working at my store in the mall, P.S. from Aeropostale. My pay rate won't change, a pay at $7.50/hr,  but I'll get around 10hrs-15hrs a week in there. Not bad, not bad. Could be better but I won't complain much.
Job #3.
A friend of mine hit me up on facebook last night. Asked if I was interested in working for him. Me? HELL YEAH. MORE MONEYY. So I accepted his offer. He and a friend are starting up their own stand in Crossgates Mall. What kind of stand? A yogurt stand. What else are they selling?  
BUBBLE TEA.

He asked me if I knew how to make bubble tea, and I said "No, but I'd be happy to learn!"
I'd be veryyyy happy to learn :D

It's like such an awesome thing, I'll be able to make bubble tea myself at home if I ever wanted to now! It's such an easy job too, I can't wait! He said the pay will be $7.50/hr which I'm used to, but what makes it better is that I can probably have many more hours than at P.S. I can work around that schedule and ask to work the nights I'm not working somewhere else. Perfect, right? They're opening up May 5th, it's so soon and yet such a great opportunity to make some extra cash while sipping down some bubble tea.
New savings goal for HK?
Totally attainable.

I'll be able to go to Japan next spring and have lots of fun in HK without worrying too much about money now. If possible, 10K would be ideal. Lets see how far I can budget myself in a short amount of time. I'm determined enough. I'm a very determined girl for the things I want. I've always been good at saving though too. Gosh, I can't wait to surprise my family about my savings. I've been trying to save for two years now, and I could have done better than this but I was foolish for a while there. But even so, I've said nothing about how much I have. You know what... LET'S AIM FOR 10K. I CAN DO IT.


I've been trying to gather more connections. I like talking to strangers, scary enough. Online at least. But I figured out how to meet more people from HK on this one postcard app I have. FINALLY. I met a few college/high school students and a few people with jobs. I'm hoping I can use it to my advantage in the future. Maybe they can hook me up with an open position in their company when I'm ready to graduate, or just help me find a job in general. Then trying to make some random friends, so when the summer comes I can practice the Cantonese I'll be learning on my own.

I also downloaded an app called 陌陌 (Momo). My friend told me about it and I was like, "oh cool! I want to give it a try." So when I got home I downloaded it. It's all in simplified characters and ONLY Chinese people know about this app. And let me emphasis ONLY. There is no English version. There is no English interface. I honestly don't even know how I made an account. Pure luck and maybe the lack of knowledge I have on Chinese characters. Especially simplified. But I made an account, somehow. And it's kinda creepy. It tells you how far away people who also have an account, like since there's SUNY students with an account it'll say next to their name "0.32km" and such. Such a creepy stalker app.... lol.

But it's funny. Because I'm pretty much the only white girl using this. Every person who has sent me a message on it has, in some form or another, asked me "how do you have this account?", "you're not Chinese", "how do you know about this?", etc etc etc. One person actually asked me if I was a ghost. Most people would talk to me in English seeing as how I'm obviously not Asian (from my profile picture. surprised I even knew how to set that), but then I have a few who wrote in Chinese and I responded back in Chinese.... and they don't get the hint that I really don't understand more than basic Chinese. I sometimes struggle when trying to respond. But hey, it's good practice for me.

I talked to one guy in English for like almost 3hrs last night on it. It's fun just having random conversations with international students. haha like about Taco Bell or what we're studying and stuff.


I have fun with the weirdest things. I always wondered why it is I like talking to random people online. I think, it's probably for the same reason I write blogs in a way. I just want someone to hear me, hear my life for a little. I don't want to get to know these people personally. I just want to exist maybe.

That's..... a really hard question. I really don't know how to answer it. I don't know why I do these things, but somehow it just makes me happy talking to someone different. It's like another form of socializing, you know? You can be who you want, the real you, without having to worry about the impression you make on them or having to ever see them again in case you feel uncomfortable. But I really don't know how to answer that question. Why do I do it? I really don't know... I just... do. I guess our interests can be varied between what is really cool and reasonable to what could be creepy, weird, and disgusting. I don't think I should be judged so poorly though... we're all different. And we all have a different way to occupy ourselves. We all have different things that please us.

I think the best way to describe my position though, I do this when I'm bored.
I only talk to strangers when I'm bored. Bored and when I have no other friends or people around me. So, when I'm in my room at night, I go on an app and send a message to the world, hoping for a response from someone, and then we have a conversation.
Yeah, that sounds about right, actually. I long for social interaction. And when I can't have it, I go to online strangers.


I almost had to give my Chinese speech at the EAS Speech Competition tonight. I was so scared. The one participant walked away because she was so nervous, but they had her go back after some time to breathe and then she gave it. Either way, I got a prize.$10 for CCK for dinner and $5 for lunch gift certificates. I'm happy with that :) Free Chinese food ♥ But a 202 level Japanese student gave a really good speech as I listened to it, it kinda made me want to cry. She was talking about who taught her the most in life. It wasn't her teachers in any subjects, but it was her Golden Retriever. Yes, a dog. Her dog got hit by a car and lost a leg. But in her speech she went on about how her dog continued to smile, continue to run and play and have fun with only three legs. Her dog taught her to never give up. And I thought, that was one of the best speeches I've ever heard. She won 1st place for 202.

I talked to Yeh老师 a little after the contest. She kept smiling and saying "goodjob even though you didn't go" and all I could do is laugh. She said I could try again next year and I said I'd be in HK, then she paused and continued "we can figure something out." I froze with a smile. And I thought, 'Don't be serious about that. DO NOT MAKE US DO A SPEECH IN CLASS.' And I laughed okay okay. She's so cute though. And hahahaaaaa she's just really cute and funny in class too. I don't know how many of the students can find her scary. Probably just intimidated?

But it's the last party of this semester tonight, at Yukina's house. And since I'm not working tomorrow, I think I'll have fun and drink a lot. It's been awhile since I drank a lot while socializing.

This was today's breakfast. Black iced coffee with a yummy chocolate chip muffin ♥ High calorie muffin, but the taste is heavenly~


No comments:

Post a Comment